Friday, April 9, 2010

you’re a gem

It seems like engagement season stretched beyond Valentine’s Day and over to Spring this year because the bling just keeps on blinging. I open an email or text almost weekly with the subject line “THE RING”. It usually consists of a forwarded picture of an aerial view of someone’s glimmering left hand. You know what I am talking about. I’m sure you sent it too.

One ring is more unique than the next. We’ve come a long way from the diamond solitaire on the gold band. The options are pretty much endless.

Sapphires and Rubies and Emeralds. Oh my!

That’s right. Many couples have been opting for gemstones other than just diamonds. This a logical concept considering many of these stones are actually more valuable than a diamond. The other stones are typically selected due to preference.

I’ve seen the sapphire as the focal point accented by diamonds and I’ve seen the diamond as the main event with rubies to complement. And that's just this week! Get on the ring fwd email chain and you will too.

While we’re talking engagement rings, let’s talk salary. Ahem, too personal?

Did you ever hear that the guy has to spend 2-3 months of his salary on his future wife’s engagement ring? I have and I was curious who wrote that rule. Guess who? This answer seems so obvious that I can’t believe I didn’t realize it before. A jeweler spread this piece of “etiquette” around literally 100 years ago. It was simply a marketing ploy for the diamond industry that stuck. Let’s toss that rule out the window.

Spend what you will on whatever gem you want just make sure it suits your lady.

-The perennial bridesmaid


No comments:

Post a Comment