Monday, May 10, 2010

whirlwind wedding weekend

And no one even got married.

It all started Friday afternoon with my first trip ever to David’s Bridal. How did I avoid this bridal warehouse all of this time? There’s an overwhelming amount of racks and rows of satin, lace, taffeta, silk, chiffon, etc, etc. And women in black suits with clipboards. And dyeable shoes. I thought they left with the 90s?

Needless to say, I learned a few new things.

I went in to try on 8 pre-determined knee-length options of apple red bridesmaid dresses for a 10.10.10 wedding. I’ve narrowed my choices down to 2 in just 45 minutes and a total of 4 DB sales associates with clipboards that I got passed between. I threw out all of my strapless options simply because I have a closet full of those already and want to own something different.

To be continued…as I weigh between scoop neck and v-neck.

Day 2 was spent on a bridal dress shopping marathon around the greater city of Philadelphia with our 3.12.11 bride. The verdict is still out on this one but the very first dress of the day set the bar pretty high. Not much could compare. I learned about fit-and-flair gowns and the difference between mermaids and trumpets…yes I am still talking dresses here. I also learned why bridal shops serve you wine while watching your friends try on gowns; since I nearly bought a $400 designer cocktail dress just-because. I’m sure I have a wedding that I could wear it to, right?

Later that evening I was at a birthday party (just happened to be for a newlywed) where I was surrounded by more brides and grooms-to-be. 4 sets to be exact. Naturally weddings and bachelorette parties were a topic of the night. It’s an epidemic!

Finally, Sunday arrived. I was honored to be asked to be a bridesmaid for the 10th time.

-The perennial bridesmaid

No comments:

Post a Comment