Wednesday, June 23, 2010

first dance

I witnessed one of my favorite “first dances” at a wedding. And no, it didn’t involve the bride and groom jumping into a choreographed routine or dancing to a hip hop song. It was a simple slow dance to words that made prefect sense to the newlyweds. And it was memorable for the guests.

Have you ever seen the Adam Sandler hit “The Wedding Singer”? If so, you probably remember the song that Robbie Hart sung at the end about growing old together. The lyrics are sheer genius because they mention every day tokens of love such as doing the dishes, giving up the remote and taking care of you when you’re drunk.

Although the words are meaningful, its comedian Adam Sandler singing so naturally it is funny. (Have you heard his Hanukah song?) But that is the fun of it. Why take yourself so seriously especially if you two are not the serious types. Select a song that captures who you are together.

For the bride and groom that I saw dance to this, it made perfect sense! The words were dead on for them and the length of the song didn’t hurt either at just over two minutes.  Plus, they're a little bit silly together and so is this song. All of the guests got a chuckle and gave them around of applause as Adam wrapped up “Grow Old with You”.

-The perennial bridesmaid


“Grow Old With You”
 
I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do is grow old with you

I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks
Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you

I'll miss you
Kiss you
Give you my coat when you are cold

Need you
Feed you
Even let ya hold the remote control

So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink
Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink
I could be the man who grows old with you
I wanna grow old with you


No comments:

Post a Comment