Monday, February 15, 2010

the beans

...don’t spill ‘em!

There tend to be secrets and surprises that need to be kept around weddings and engagements…all in good fun, of course. Bridal showers have traditionally been a surprise and often still are.  Of course, proposals are also traditionally surprises. As hard as it might be, we should keep these secrets at the request of those planning the surprise.

If you are a parent and your daughter’s boyfriend has the coveted can-I-marry-your-daughter conversation with you or your spouse, don’t tell her about this conversation! How frustrating is it for the dude that is trying to surprise her? The guy does the traditional thing by asking for the girl’s hand in marriage before proposing and then you turn around and tell her? Of course it’s killing you but you’ve gotta keep this secret. Don’t blow what could be the surprise of her lifetime.

On a lighter note, I walk into work today and see my best good coworker friend. What’s the first thing she says? “Did you get an invitation to my bridal shower?” Hmm. If a got an invitation, the last thing I’d do is tell her! She goes on to tell me that she KNOWS her “surprise” shower is in March and she KNOWS that invitations went out.

What did I do? Considered running away but faced the demon instead and said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about do you want to go to lunch.”

She followed up by asking if I could attend the shower. She’s going to be a tough one.

-The perennial bridesmaid

No comments:

Post a Comment